Friday, May 14, 2021

Traditional Art - Ink Figures #7

 

Using ink to create sketches was a bit of a daunting trial as I hadn’t used this kind of medium before for sketching purposes. I did some minor experiments beforehand to get the gist of how the ink handles and how much I would need to water it down to get certain tones and such. It was also a bit of a trial keeping a steady hand with the paint brush. As much as I aimed for this to be free and gestural, naturally I couldn’t be too free or else I could layer too much ink on or splash ink on places I didn’t want to.

With the sketches, I mainly gave the main body forms an outline with thicker, darker ink and then went over the shadows with a wash of lighter ink, layering it at times to get additional darker tones. I used a thin paint brush for the majority of the work as that would give mw better control. I feel as though I could’ve added more variation to my line weight with the ink to create some more interesting shape design. In future that’d be something I’d look to improve on.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditional Art - Aircraft Study #12

  My aircraft thumbnail sketches were created with the aim to sort out composition. The aircraft I’d chosen to draw was quite small in size ...