Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Digital Art - Apocalypse Vehicle #9

 

After much spending a good amount of time adding, reworking and manipulating images together, I got the front and back view of my vehicle completed.

I added a person alongside to give a visual representation of the size I imagine the vehicle to be plus a shadow underneath to give some more 3D depth.


During the process of photobashing, I tried to keep a good balance between my primary big shapes, secondary shapes and tertiary details- it was very tempting to go overboard on the small parts because I had so many images at my disposal that I wanted to use parts of everything. But to keep the vehicle looking realistic and believable I had to have areas of rest alongside more cluttered spaces. This involved erasing and lowering the opacity a lot on things like rust and tears to keep them subtle and not detract from the vehicle as a whole.

Also, despite having many images to choose from, I had to think outside the box to find sections of photographs that would work well for my vehicle. My normal instincts tell me that if I want a window then I should search for a window to use as a window however for some sections I had to do some unconventional thinking to find a base for what I needed. For example I wanted a mirror for the vehicle but all the images I found had cars with mirrors of the wrong shape, wrong perspective, etc. I changed my approach for this and began looking for something with the shape I wanted rather than the actual object I wanted. This ended with me using a traffic light as a mirror, drawing over it to get the details I wanted.


This was a bit of a challenging final step since there was a lot I had to consider in regards to perspective, proportions, whether things worked or not according to my final sketch but overall I like the outcome of my vehicle. I think it suits the circumstances I’d imagined for it (a bug apocalypse) well whilst also being fairly unique in terms of design. It reads as an ambulance which was what I wanted but is also semi exaggerated what with the huge wheels and extruding additions on the panels. I’ve learnt some techniques that I can see myself bringing forward into future projects, like blocking shapes out in 3D as a starting point, and am more confident in my approach to photobashing.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditional Art - Aircraft Study #12

  My aircraft thumbnail sketches were created with the aim to sort out composition. The aircraft I’d chosen to draw was quite small in size ...