Friday, December 18, 2020

Traditional Art - Landscape #7

 

When starting my landscape drawing for my traditional work, I chose a place that I was a familiar with so I had a better reference of the 3D space I’d be drawing. I chose to draw Richmond Bridge in London, more precisely the view looking onto the River Thames from Richmond Bridge.

Developing this piece was fairly difficult in some areas because I had to make the decision between artistic modifications and absolute accuracy. When it came to tonal values, there were point when drawing that I’d look at my reference and a value would be fairly light (like many of the trees) but by keeping that light tone, the shapes of everything in the scene would blend together too much that you couldn’t differentiate anything. With this I had to darken down many things just to have enough contrast between layering objects. There was a lot of stepping back away from the piece and looking at it from afar to make sure that my judgements were doing more good than harm.

I purposely framed an area on the page for me to draw in as I have a habit of drawing too large and then not being able to fit everything I need to in. Doing this helped a lot with managing how to scale my drawings better (which is I feel especially important when drawing whole landscapes). I was able to box in an interesting area to focus on and draw rather than being concerned about getting everything in whilst running out of space.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditional Art - Aircraft Study #12

  My aircraft thumbnail sketches were created with the aim to sort out composition. The aircraft I’d chosen to draw was quite small in size ...