Friday, December 4, 2020

Traditional Art - Use of Line #2

 For my traditional work I created a composition that I thought was framed in an interesting way and would feed in nicely to the task of experimenting with line work. Creating areas with many objects like the flowers and the bunch of grapes allowed me to think of ways to use line to delineate all that information without necessarily having to draw absolutely everything in immense detail in order to get the drawing to read well.

I mainly used horizontal lines following the forms of each object to indicate shadows and negative space in the composition, using heavier lines for foreground objects and softer ones for those more towards the background. I also kept the main foreground objects more detailed in their line work whereas some of the objects more hidden, like some of the leaves and grapes, had faded, incomplete lines to represent the distance between them.

I thought this would be a visually interesting approach to take as following the forms could make for some aesthetically pleasing design work but it was still comprehensible as to what each object in the composition was. Keeping things readable was something I personally wanted to work on so tried to keep that in mind as I drew.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditional Art - Aircraft Study #12

  My aircraft thumbnail sketches were created with the aim to sort out composition. The aircraft I’d chosen to draw was quite small in size ...