Friday, May 14, 2021

Traditional Art - British Museum #1

 

After browsing through the virtual British Museum tour, I chose to create a study of a gold, griffin-headed armlet from ancient Iran. I wanted to practice rendering metallic objects so found this was a good opportunity to do so. I strongly aimed to get a good contrast between the light and dark areas in order to get a good metallic read.

I was a bit cautious when it came to adding tone to this piece mainly because there were many intricate details on the griffin head portion of the armlet (the scales and feathers). I had to decide how to portray them to keep the overall look accurate but also not overwhelming. I was worried by adding too much detail the piece could end up looking quite flat. I tackled this by adding darker areas of tone to the small pockets within the scales and then overlaying gradual shifting tones in a uniform manner over the top (rather than shading around each individual portion).





No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditional Art - Aircraft Study #12

  My aircraft thumbnail sketches were created with the aim to sort out composition. The aircraft I’d chosen to draw was quite small in size ...