Friday, May 14, 2021

Traditional Art - Skull Study #2

 For my skull study, I spent quite a lot of time ensuring my beginning sketch was proportionate to my reference and I’d gotten the perspective correct. I felt as though it would be very easy to tell if the skull was skewed in some way so by spending some extra time getting the sketch right it’d save me correcting those mistakes further down the line. Spending that extra time also helped me get a better understanding of the overall head structure. I could see then how eyes were proportionate to the face and how to structure the nose better from doing this study, something that will definitely help in future studies.

When rendering I started with the darkest portions first, like the eye sockets, to get a better grasp on what areas I may need to lightening or darken to get the tones to read as the darkest sections/lightest sections. I struggle a bit with getting the overall texture of the skull to feel as though it was bone- in future I think I’d need to experiment more with different techniques to get a handle on how to portray surface properties.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditional Art - Aircraft Study #12

  My aircraft thumbnail sketches were created with the aim to sort out composition. The aircraft I’d chosen to draw was quite small in size ...