Friday, April 30, 2021

Game Production - Group Project #8

 

After some tweaking, cleaning up the scene and checking in with my group to compare and get feedback, I can call my steampunk locker room finished. This project was challenging in different ways than my previous projects but I felt like I was able to create a decent final result. 

It felt as though there was much more to consider in this project than other ones, mainly because this environment was actually able to be traversed through rather than just looked at from a camera angle. There was much more going back and forth between programs to make alterations to certain assets or textures to make the whole thing cohesive and stick to the theme whilst also being playable. Having to keep in mind that the level needed to run at 60fps minimum meant restricting myself and making changes along the way of what I could add and what I should change to keep the environment interesting but functional.

I think I handled my lighting quite well for this environment. Figuring out how to create fake window light took quite a bit of trial and error but getting there in the end made it very worthwhile. It’s becoming easier to showcase things in Unreal-I know how to manipulate materials better to get them to suit the lighting, and vice versa, which is proving to be a handy skill. Naturally some aspects could stand to be improved with this project. My optimization of some meshes could be better and cleaner (topology wise) and I maybe could’ve pushed my textures more to be closer to the realistic style I was aiming to portray. But for what I’ve made I think they work well.

Overall though, I’m fairly happy with my final room. If I had more time on this project I’d like to add more details to the room and further tweak it in areas (like adding more variation to the wooden floor) but I do like how it is as of right now.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditional Art - Aircraft Study #12

  My aircraft thumbnail sketches were created with the aim to sort out composition. The aircraft I’d chosen to draw was quite small in size ...