Friday, April 30, 2021

Game Production - Group Project #6

 

When it came to my lighting, I knew I wanted strong ‘outdoor’ light coming in from the windows. But since this room need to be an enclosed interior I had to mimic that as best I could. Unreal has a bit of a habit of making things quite dark so getting the brightness I wanted was a bit of a challenge.

I made part of my window static mesh into an emissive so that it acted as a light. This in itself though didn’t really give the illusion of window light as it just kind of shone globally rather than in a direction like sunlight would. To create the fake directional light (without actually using a directional light) I made a duplicate of the frame in front of the window and added another point light on top of it so it cast a shadow. I set the secondary frame mesh to hidden when in game mode so that the shadows would still be cast but the actual mesh wouldn’t be seen. This gave a better illusion that the sunlight was actually streaming through the window and creating the light marks on the floor.

The rest of the lighting in the scene was fairly simple, just some point lights and spotlights in areas that made sense. I also enhanced the lighting slightly by using the ‘bloom’ setting in the post processing volume. I played around with this setting quite a bit to get a decent balance as I arranged my assets within the scene so that all the assets were still visible and not over exposed whilst the lighting still looked good.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditional Art - Aircraft Study #12

  My aircraft thumbnail sketches were created with the aim to sort out composition. The aircraft I’d chosen to draw was quite small in size ...