Monday, February 22, 2021

Game Production - Character Bust #4

 

To start texturing my character, I baked my high poly mesh onto my low poly and laid down flat base colours in Substance Painter. To get the stylized look I was hoping for, I gradually placed gradients over my base colour to get enough colour differentiation on parts like the skin and clothes before going in to add shadows. With this model using PBR materials, I didn’t need to go so deep with the shadows like I would if I were making a handpainted/diffuse-only model so I the main shadows were just extensions of the AO map. I used my AO map as a guide for where the shadows should go and only deepened the colour marginally.

To try to make the best use of Substance Painter, I used masks to create the gradients that I painted over to create my colour variations. The masks allowed me to effectively change all gradient aspects like the size, the blur between each colour, contrast, etc, without needing to be fixated on whether the colour was covering the correct portion of the model and small things like that.

I manually painted details on top of large areas and manually painted things like the eyes and hair streak(aspects that I wanted in a specific way). The beginning texturing process was quite smooth though and I feel as though I’m able to create a style that is close to my reference but with my own additional flare to it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditional Art - Aircraft Study #12

  My aircraft thumbnail sketches were created with the aim to sort out composition. The aircraft I’d chosen to draw was quite small in size ...