Monday, February 22, 2021

Game Production - Character Bust #3

 

My retopology workflow may not have necessarily been the fastest however it was the most efficient means of working for me. I retopo’d my model in 3D Coat mainly because I understand the methods of retopology better there as opposed to say 3DS Max. However this does mean I’m adding another piece of software into my workflow which means I have to go from ZBrush to 3D Coat to Max instead of just ZBrush to Max. Longer method but better results.

I tackled the face topology first and foremost, looking up reference for facial loops before starting. I remember from my first year character project that the face loops needed to be in a particular fashion for the sake of deformation when animating. With some further research I found that the loops are meant to emulate the flow of muscles on an actual human face so that when they deform in animations it looks more natural.

I was cautious during the retopology process to keep the tri count in mind, I had to decided what I would give geometry and what I would leave to the baked maps. I unwrapped the retopo’d mesh swiftly after, dividing the UVs onto two 1024 maps, before creating an OBJ to take to Substance Painter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditional Art - Aircraft Study #12

  My aircraft thumbnail sketches were created with the aim to sort out composition. The aircraft I’d chosen to draw was quite small in size ...