Monday, February 22, 2021

Game Production - Character Bust #2

 When it came to sculpting my character, I went through a slow starting process but eventually sped up towards the end. I began with the head because I knew that would take the longest out of all the features. I think this took quite some time mainly due to me constantly checking if it looked proportionate. Naturally I wanted the face to be stylized but no amount of stylization can hide a disproportionate face so I spent a lot of time going back and forth, stopping and starting and getting second opinions on the direction I was going with my head. Having plenty of reference definitely helped.



Other aspects like the scarf, hair and jacket didn’t take as long as they were fairly simple shapes in comparison to the head. A challenging aspect though were the belts and suspenders. I tried to keep my sculpt as clean as possible and I found the best method of keeping shapes like belts clean was to use the ZModeller brush in ZBrush. Admittedly I’d never used ZModeller before so trying to navigate that and get it to do what I want was a bit of a hurdle. But once getting used to it I understood how useful it was and can definitely see myself using it frequently in future projects.


Overall sculpting wasn’t too difficult of a process but it was a long one, though I probably spent longer than I should’ve on my bust. I did learn quite a bit though and made changes to the model going against my initial concept but I feel like the bust has a better finish to it this way as opposed to what could’ve been if I stuck strictly to the concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditional Art - Aircraft Study #12

  My aircraft thumbnail sketches were created with the aim to sort out composition. The aircraft I’d chosen to draw was quite small in size ...