Monday, February 22, 2021

Game Production - Character Bust #1

 

To start off my character project, I did some initial research to establish a style that I wanted to emulate when creating my bust. In my mind I knew I wanted to create a character that looked a bit fantasy-esque but could still be envisioned as a bounty hunter. I thought a more stylized approach would suit this type of design better as I could have a bit more flexibility down the line when it came to approaching texturing and how I could get each different material type to seem more uniform.

From my research I settled on aiming for a style similar to the game Valorant mainly because it’s a style that I personally really like, especially with models used for promotional cinematics. The kind of matte painted textures makes for such interesting stylized PBR that I want to try my hand at the method. Valorant in game models are less ‘painterly’ in their textures but style carry big, chunky shapes in their shadows which I quite like so a potential blend between the two styles is what I’m aiming for.


To save some time on major concepting I had an old character design that I altered marginally to create my concept art for this project- depending on the modelling process some aspects may change if they don’t read as well in 3D. The character though will really only have 2 material types apart from skin and hair, those being overalls like material (like tough cotton) and gold. Limiting the varying materials on the model will probably save me time since I won’t be fixated on researching masses on what certain materials look like then having to replicate it in a stylized manner. Simple is always best and I’d already put (most likely) too many minor details on the concept so speeding up the future process of making those details as much as possible is always preferable.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditional Art - Aircraft Study #12

  My aircraft thumbnail sketches were created with the aim to sort out composition. The aircraft I’d chosen to draw was quite small in size ...