Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Game Production - Backyard #8

 

Moving on with my backyard slice, I’d reached the last few stages of modelling which were creating the foliage. I’d purposely left this till last so that I could map out beforehand where foliage would look best as it was going add quite a bit of contrast in my environment. The foliage had to be enough to make the scene lively but not too much that it was overcrowded and repetitive.

I did some research before sculpting out the foliage on what kind of flowers and plants were native to Italy to act as my reference. From that I found there’s a lot of natural ivy in Italy and I chose to base the flowers I create on Italian Anemones (They usually come in white or white and red but because of the lighting in my scene the white might get washed out so I will most likely change the colour).

 


With the plants being alphas I sculpted the individual leaf shapes in Zbrush and then also duplicated and arranged them to make the plant shapes I wanted like the clumps of leaves and strings of ivy. Doing this in Zbrush allowed me to see how to fit all the foliage onto a single texture sheet without the need to bake each asset, rearrange each alpha in Photoshop, etc – it was just much quicker this way.

Alongside making the foliage I also sculpted the plant pot and soil sack that would go alongside the foliage. The soil sack was interesting to sculpt because I wanted it to look heavy and full and to make some really definitive creases and folds that would translate well when baking onto a low poly mesh. I ended up looking at pillows for reference on folds which may have drawn away a bit from a realistic representation of a sack but due to the stylization of my scene I think I’ll be able to get away with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditional Art - Aircraft Study #12

  My aircraft thumbnail sketches were created with the aim to sort out composition. The aircraft I’d chosen to draw was quite small in size ...