Friday, May 14, 2021

Traditional Art - Black and Colour Media #9

 

For my figure drawing I chose to compose both male and female figures into one drawing to create a piece like this. I chose this instead of doing both separately because I wanted to experiment with how I could change the colours and shadows with a figure in the foreground to make it stand out against a figure in the background, creating 3-dimensional space between them.

I put my female figure in the foreground as I felt her pose would better suit the foreground position. It was a bit tricky deciding how to overlap the 2 figures together. I didn’t want to completely obscure one from view so figuring out the placement was the first hurdle when sketching.

When applying colour, I wanted to show a contrast between the male and female figure so that their forms didn’t accidentally blend together. With this in mind I decided to use softer shading on the foreground figure and slightly harsher, more sketching shading for the background figure. I had limited colours to work with so I felt this would be the best approach for getting the contrast I want. I applied colours to the main curved of each form, stronger colours towards the darker ambient occlusion areas and the main highlights being the white of the page. I feel as though I could’ve gone slightly less harsh on the shading in the background figure just to erase the distinct lines you can see in some portions, that’ll be something I keep in mind in future when I do more studies.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditional Art - Aircraft Study #12

  My aircraft thumbnail sketches were created with the aim to sort out composition. The aircraft I’d chosen to draw was quite small in size ...