Friday, May 14, 2021

Traditional Art - Warm and Cold Portraits #4

 

To create my warm and cold portraits, I first evaluated what colours and techniques I could use to convey certain tones within the face. Colour isn’t something I’m particularly confident with when using it in traditional mediums so I spent some time testing out colours against each other to see what worked and what didn’t. I was using pastel pencils for this piece and took a bit of a stylistic approach to rendering, breaking up the face into planes when colouring, switching my colours frequently to get an interesting yet accurate look.

It was a bit of a challenge to get confident with using colour since I essentially couldn’t erase whatever I laid down on paper. That being said I felt I was able to effectively communicate some kind of mood within each portrait, the warm being my passionate and the cold being more melancholic. I’d need to brush up on my overall technique however. I feel as thought I could push myself further to create a more blended finish rather than one with harsher lines. It might come down to me experimenting with other mediums in future.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditional Art - Aircraft Study #12

  My aircraft thumbnail sketches were created with the aim to sort out composition. The aircraft I’d chosen to draw was quite small in size ...