Friday, December 18, 2020

Traditional Art - Jack the Ripper Environment #9

 

The development of my Jack the Ripper environment was a difficult one due to me focusing on the wrong aspects of the drawing at the beginning which led to having to make quite a few corrections towards the end.

From my preparatory sketches, I knew I wanted a strong contrast in tonal values- heavy darks against lights and make it so the light tones fade into the background. I don’t think that was necessarily a bad plan but focusing on the heavy darks first made it so I went a bit too dark initially. With going so dark, my rendering got a bit blocky and there were very little tonal shifts in the darkest building towards the front. On one hand I had a basis on what was dark and I knew not to go as dark as that tone on more or less everything else. On the other hand my foreground objects were looking a bit flat and boring. 

The rest of the drawing compositionally felt a bit narrow but it had the contrast in tones that I wanted. With all this though, I could’ve done more to introduce a more eerie atmosphere which would’ve better suited a Jack the Ripper landscape. I could’ve potentially made the tones on the street a bit less varied to look like fog or darkened down the lighter tones by a bit to give a more night time impression.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditional Art - Aircraft Study #12

  My aircraft thumbnail sketches were created with the aim to sort out composition. The aircraft I’d chosen to draw was quite small in size ...