Monday, October 12, 2020

Game Production - PBR Materials


 During this first week I experimented with PBR materials, getting to grips with what different maps do and how they all function together.

With the task of creating some materials, I used some royalty free textures from ‘textures.com’ and then edited them in photoshop to create the roughness, normal and metallic maps. I simply altered the tone curve of the original images to get the black and white results I needed to make the varying materials.


Importing them into Unreal Engine 4, I plugged in the texture maps and arranged some basic lighting to see how the material would look. I could’ve packed some maps like the roughness and metallic into the RGB of the albedo but for the sake of visually understand what goes into a PBR I left them as individually maps.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditional Art - Aircraft Study #12

  My aircraft thumbnail sketches were created with the aim to sort out composition. The aircraft I’d chosen to draw was quite small in size ...